Aeration in Washing, DC Metro Area
Getting that beautiful lawn that quickly becomes the envy of the neighborhood isn’t easy. Unfortunately, it involves more than just mowing the grass. Yet you don’t need to be told this. After all, you’ve purchased the high-priced lawn care equipment, spoken with the “experts” at your local lawn and garden center, and even spent hours watching YouTube tutorials. All of that has led you to drop fertilizer along with pre- and post-emergent on your lawn when suggested, and to follow a strict watering a mowing schedule. What have you got to show for all of that effort? A lawn that’s still teeming with weeds and marred by uneven grass coloring.
Why aren’t your lawn care efforts working? If you’re like many of the Washington, DC clients that we here at SML Services work with, you’ve likely just skipped a step. You see, the only way for those lawn care elements to truly benefit your grass is to provide them with a pathway to get down to the roots. This is where aeration comes in.
Do I Need to Have My Lawn Aerated?
Do puddles form on your lawn after a rainstorm? Does your lawn or yard have a thick and unsightly layer of debris on top of it? Is your yard actively growing? If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, then it sounds like it is time to have your lawn aerated. In general, aeration is one of the best ways of making sure that your lawn becomes thicker and improves the effectiveness of normal irrigation, fertilizers and pest control programs.
At SML SERVICES, our professional aeration service will enable more fertilizer to reach your turf’s roots, enhance the breakdown of thatch as well as help you use water more effectively. Our lawn aeration service, which is sometimes also referred to as core aeration, removes small plugs of turf, thatch and soil from your lawn.
In general, lawn aeration should occur once a year. However, if your Washington, DC lawn is showing one or more of the signs listed above and you have already aerated your lawn for the season, then it may be a sign that you need to think about going for round two. At SML SERVICES, we make sure that every lawn aeration we carry out is done to the highest possible standard. With that in mind, we make sure that the following points are adhered to closely:
- We will always make sure to examine your lawn closely to ensure that the correct grass type is identified. On top of that, we always make sure that aeration occurs when the grasses are actively growing.
- The use of a state-of-the-art aeration machine means that you can be guaranteed that your lawn will look better for longer.
- Our skilled team of aeration experts will also make sure to clearly mark sprinkler heads, irrigation lines and other underground lines in your yard that could become damaged during lawn aeration.
- Before any aeration takes place, we will make sure to water your lawn thoroughly the day before the formal aeration process.
- After aeration takes place, you can rest assured that we will seed and fertilize the core area that has been aerated thoroughly.
- Finally, once the aeration process has taken place, we will make sure to let the plugs disintegrate into the lawn.
So, if you want to make sure that your home’s lawn and yard looks its best for longer but don’t want to get your hands dirty, then you need to call us at SML SERVICES today and let us do what we do best. Having catered to a countless number of Washington, DC homeowners just like yourself since we first opened our doors means that we have the experience and expertise needed to provide your home’s lawn with an aeration service that will keep it looking better for longer.
The Aeration Process We Use for Our Washington, DC Clients
If you’ve ever walked up on a lawn in Washington, DC that looks like it’s full of tiny brown pellets, know first that they’re not what you think they are. Their presence means that the lawn was recently aerated using a plug aerator. Here’s how we at SML Services do it:
- Typically, we wait until your soil is somewhat moist, usually a day or two after it has rained. Dry ground is just more difficult to penetrate. If it hasn’t rained recently, we may ask you to water the lawn the day before we arrive.
- Using a plug aerator, we’ll make several passes across the lawn, similar to how you would with your lawn mower. With each pass, tiny soil plugs about 0.5 inches in diameter and 2-3 inches deep are pulled from lawn. These should be allowed to stay on the grass so that they can break down and continue to enrich the soil.
- Once the aeration is done, we’ll follow it up with a fertilizer and possibly an herbicide treatment. The new holes allow these additives to reach the roots of the grass, where they are absorbed and finally put in the best position to their jobs.
- You then keep up with your mowing and watering. Your mower blade will break the tiny plug pellets up and return them to the soil, while the holes also allow more water to percolate to your grasses root system, encouraging enhanced and uniform growth and color.
We here at SML Services recommend aerating your lawn twice a year, usually in the early spring and early fall. The spring aeration serves to help wake up the lawn after a long, dormant growth phase during winter, while the fall one helps put it to bed once the season is over.
Top Notch Aeration Service
The blood, sweat, and tears that you’ve put into making your lawn look great needn’t be in vain. You can still create that lush layer of turf you’ve always dreamed; you simply need the right kind of support. We here at SML Services are happy to provide it. Just call us in as soon as spring arrives and right when fall starts approaching, and we’ll be there to aerate your lawn to prep it for its feeding. We can be reached at (202) 425-1872 or by you filling out our convenient online contact form. Why settle for second best when the number one lawn aeration team in the Washington DC area is here for you to use!